14.9.14

New beginnings (Part 2)

Wow, blog, it's been awhile. I read my last blog just recently, and I realized that I needed to update people about the new stage of my life that I'm about to enter into (and sort of already have).

Since my last post, I've returned to the U.S. The transition was a lot easier than I thought it would be, since I was back home and in my "comfort zone", so to speak...skating, teaching a beginner Spanish class, volunteering, and still teaching English online.  Before I left Costa Rica, I was scanning The Literacy Center's blog and saw a job opening for Program Manager. I didn't know she was leaving, but I emailed her and the Executive Director asking about it, and they both wanted me to meet with them about possibly taking the position! I didn't really think it was a possibility, since I didn't have all the job requirements, but they basically said I could train for the job, and if I didn't think it would work out, I could opt out at any time. It's now mid-September and I've been the Administrative Assistant for almost 2 months, which will be ending the end of this month, but I will continue to train for the Program Manager job until November 1st, when I will officially start. The non-profit world is a perfect fit for me, and it fulfills my life goal, which has been to help people improve their language skills, no matter their race, ethnicity, educational background, etc.

This job is just what I've been searching for, and although I still want to continue traveling abroad, I think this is the best choice for me right now. I actually got offered a teaching job at a school in Cuenca, Ecuador, but I would like to travel there first, and with four paid weeks off a year, I'm hoping to travel around South America some more.

I'll post my summer adventures soon...I got to do some traveling within the U.S., first to California to see my family and bestie, then to Colorado for a week visiting my skating friend Max, then to Idaho for my annual BBR adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment