13.3.12

Week #1: Santiago, Chile-finally!!!!

Saturday: Let me tell you, the 9 1/2 hour flight to Santiago, Chile was SO worth it! Providencia (the area I'm staying in) is so beautiful! I got to my host family's apartment around noon, jet lagged and tired.  My host mom, Verónica, and dad, Patricio, are beyond nice and so willing to talk to me or give me directions every time I ask for a new place to go or good restaurant to eat.  I decide to venture out and exchange the remainder of my American money into Chilean pesos.  I only had to walk a few blocks to a small shopping mall.  For a culture that hardly eats anything (except lunch), I think I see about 5 or 6 McDonalds in 6 blocks.  I found the school, which is literally 8-10 minutes away from my family's apartment!!! I also found a Starbucks. :) 


This is the street I live on:


Sunday: I decide to walk to a park that Verónica says isn't very far away, and she's right.  Within ten minutes of my apartment, I find a cute little park next to a "river" (I'm putting it in quotes because it doesn't resemble a river, and that's saying something since I'm from Arizona, where there's hardly any water). When I think of a river, I think of this:




Apparently, this is the Chilean version, called the Río Mapocho:


Yeah...definitely different. There are a lot of differences here. So many, in fact, that that's a whole separate entry, coming soon to a blog near you. :)

Oh, and I found the U.S. Embassy:


I <3 Santiago!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment