19.11.12

Culture Shock

Since arriving in Costa Rica, I've been experiencing culture shock.  It's definitely an interesting set of emotions...there are even stages like grieving! It's different for everyone. 

Wikipedia defines it like this: Culture shock is the personal disorientation a person may feel when experiencing an unfamiliar way of life due to immigration or a visit to a new country, or to a move between social environments also a simple travel to another type of life.

"Symptoms" include (starred ones are ones I experienced):
Excessive concern over cleanliness and health
Feelings of helplessness and withdrawal*
Irritability*
Anger*
Glazed stare
Desire for home and old friends*
Physiological stress reactions*
Homesickness*
Boredom
Withdrawal*
Getting "stuck" on one thing
Suicidal or fatalistic thoughts
Excessive sleep
Insomnia*
Compulsive eating/drinking/weight gain
Stereotyping host nationals*
Hostility towards host nationals.

Like any move, it just takes time. I'm already 100% better from two weeks ago, and every day I'm here, the more I adjust. It will be interesting to see if I have reverse culture shock when I go home for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment