10.11.12

Puntarenas

Last weekend, I went to the port town of Puntarenas to visit my friend, Andrés.  The last time I was in Costa Rica, we came through Puntarenas to take a catamaran to Isla Tortuga, so I never really got to see the whole town.  

Andrés and his brother, Randy, picked me up from the bus stop near their home in the neighborhood of El Roble.  We went back to their house, and I met their parents and aunt.  Then we went to a maritime museum with crocodiles, turtles, and sharks.  We all got to pet a nurse shark, which was pretty cool.  



 

After the museum, we went to get ice cream and Andrés and I walked "el paseo de turistas" (Tourist Walk) and all the way into the actual city of Puntarenas.  It was really nice catching up with Andrés.  He helped me with my Spanish and I helped him with his English (which has really improved!).  We sat on one of the overlooks to watch the sunset.  It was beautiful!!



   

We also went to "surprise" Jorge! He lived in the same house as Andrés, Pridian, and I in San José back in 2008.  It was great to see him too, and it was even more funny to hear Andrés make fun of him.  I got to experience the game of futsal, which is really just indoor soccer.  Randy's girlfriend, Francinie was on the team, and it was definitely interesting to watch because there weren't any referees or scoreboard.  It's a really aggressive game!

On Sunday, we ate a big, delicious, traditional Costa Rican breakfast of eggs, gallo pinto (a black beans and white rice combo), and fresh juice with fruit.  Andrés, Randy, Francinie, me, and their dad went for a drive up to Miramar, which is in the mountains overlooking Puntarenas.  We could see the entire Nicoya Peninsula...it was absolutely gorgeous! We had lunch in Miramar and then headed back down the mountains, where I had to catch the bus back to San José. 


It was a very fun, relaxing weekend.  I really enjoyed spending time with Andrés and meeting his family.  Hopefully, I'll go back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment